31/10/2019 – CURRENT
ADVISOR AT HE MINISTERIAL OFFICE (SECONDMENT) – Ministry of Rural Development
- Provide the Minister with political oversight and high quality independent advice on rural
issues, proposals and submissions received in line with the Government’s objectives.
- Monitor relevant papers and draw to the Minister’s attention all issues of significance.
- Under guidance if required, engage with internal and external experts in the Minister’s
portfolio area(s) so that the best information is available for discussion, decision making,
policy development, planning and risk management.
- Under guidance if required, answer questions of interpretation that raise significant issues in
relation to Government policy.
29/11/2018 – 30/10/2019
OFFICIAL VETERINARIAN – Department of Veterinary Drugs, Residues and Veterinary
Supplies, Directorate of Animal Welfare, Dr
I have been working as a Veterinarian for 18 years (12 of which as an Official Veterinarian and
for 6 of which as a Veterinarian Expert representing Greece at the European Commission and
at the Council of the European Union).
Food safety (including Antimicrobial Resistance) – policy and legislation, are my areas of
strength that I feel will benefit the directorate most. Specifically my main tasks are:
- Surveillance of the implementation of Council Directive 96/23/EC on measures to monitor
certain substances and residues thereof in live animals and animal products
- Member of the National Committee for the issuing and implementation of the National
Action Plan for tackling Antimicrobial Resistance in the context of the “One Health” concept
- Member of the Working Group for the Implementation of the EU-JAMRAI [European Union
Joint Action on Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) and Healthcare-Associated Infections (HCAI)]
on the Veterinary Sector
- Veterinary Expert representing Greece at the Workshops of the European Commission
04/07/2018 – CURRENT
INSTRUCTOR (PARALLEL TASKS) – Meat School of Athens (Ministry of Rural Development
Instructors’ Tasks are to learn to the students how to:
o move and manage animals before they are slaughtered.
o stun animals using an electrical device or cartridge gun.
o bleed animals while they are unconscious.
o remove hides/pelts and internal organs.
o use saws to split the carcasses.
o trim carcasses.
o move carcasses to chillers and freezers.
o adhering to food safety and sanitation controls.
o Cleaning and maintaining tools and equipment and ensuring displays and signage are
accurate and attractive.
01/01/2015 – 28/11/2018
OFFICIAL VETERINARIAN – Department of Slaughterhouses – Directorate Of Veterinary
Public Health – General Directorate Of V
During my working experience at the Ministry of Rural Development and Food and being
Veterinary Expert representing Greece at the Workshops of the European Commission and at
the Council of the European Union, I streamlined communication between the Greek State
and the European Commission regarding the Exports of food of animal origin to the Third
Countries just because firstly, I have participated many times to the Potsdam Working Group
at the Council of the European Union and secondly, as I have been defined as the contact
point between the Ministry of Rural Development and Food & The Ministry of Foreign Affairs
of Greece regarding the exports of food of animal origin. This helped keep both sides up-todate
and improved the ability to meet deadlines.
- Implementation of the Commission’s Implementic Decision (2013/652/EU) on the
monitoring and reporting of antimicrobial resistance in zoonotic and commensal bacteria
- Coordination of the Official Controls on the Slaughterhouses
- Coordination of the FVO (Food and Veterinary Office) Audits and study visits to Greece
- Coordination of the Third Countries’ visits to Greece (eg: PR of China, Canada, Hong Kong,
United States of America)
02/04/2013 – 31/12/2014
OFFICIAL VETERINARIAN – Department of Fishery Products, Milk, Egg, Honey and other
products of animal origin – Directorate
- Coordination of the Official Controls on Fishery Products, Milk, Egg, Honey and other
products of animal origin
- Coordination of the FVO (Food and Veterinary Office) Audits and study visits to Greece
- Coordination of the Third Countries’ visits to Greece (eg: Russia, United States of America,
- Participation at the Standing Committee on Plants, Animals, Food and Feed (PAFF
31/03/2010 – 01/04/2013
OFFICIAL VETERINARIAN (CIVIL SERVANT) – Imported Agricultural Products Inspection
Authority (Ministry of Rural Development and Food)
- Compilation of data and complaints on a daily basis for imports of agricultural products
from all the Third Countries
- Additional control and monitoring of imported agricultural raw materials and products,
without prejudice to other controls provided for by the provisions in force
- Monitoring compliance with the terms and conditions of the relevant national and
Community provisions deriving from the common organization of the markets and those
governing aids or subsidies for imported agricultural products
- Transmission of all the collected data, for information and control, to the local authorities,
such as Prefectural Authorities, Unified Food Control Authority, Special Inspection Service
- Recording and recovery by the competent authorities referred to the complaints concerning
the imposition of penalties on imports of agricultural products and the illegal translating of
foreign agricultural products
- Further statistical processing of the data collected
27/12/2007 – 30/03/2010
STATE VETERINARIAN – Regional Rural Development Center of Livadia (Region of Central
Greece) – Ministry of Rural Develop
- Technological and technical assistance to farmers in respect of new farming management
- Keeping the farmers informed about the applied agricultural policy, the legal framework
and the development programs, as well as the dynamics of the local and international
- Guide farmers in terms of quality, farming methods, production costs and competitiveness.
- Supporting farmers to introduce new technologies and their applications for agricultural
holdings, in particular in the field of animal improvement.
30/06/2007 – 26/12/2007
OFFICIAL VETERINARIAN (CIVIL SERVANT, LOCATED IN RURAL VETERINARY CLINIC)
– Regional Authority of Evrytania – Region of Central Greece
- Ideally positioned to audit the industries hazard analysis based risk control systems.
- In the slaughterhouse ideally placed to direct active surveillance for residues of authorised
animal remedies or illegal or unauthorised products. This may be through the interrogation
of Food Chain Information or from evidence gained through ante-mortem inspection or postmortem
01/10/2001 – 29/06/2007
QUALITY FOOD (MEAT) MANAGER – MASOUTIS S.A. – Approved EU food establishment
(Cutting plant of handling meat of domestic ungulate
- Quality manager champion, support, or lead quality initiatives ensuring that quality
program policies, plans, standards, and requirements are achieved at the establishment.
- Responsible for interfacing routinely with all internal functions (engineering, manufacturing,
sales/marketing) ensuring quality management systems are being followed
- Establish, maintain, and optimize an effective quality management system starting with the
- Responsible for directing all departments in facilitating ownership, creation, and
maintenance of quality documents and processes
- Develops and manages quality SOPs/Work Instructions along with maintenance of training
- Identify, develop, and implement new methods of quality management and systems, and
audit existing systems to meet organizational initiatives, ISO, HACCP, and other customer
- Provide quality-oriented leadership in achieving Quality objectives
- Interfaces and acts as the “Point of Contact” with internal and external customers to
provide comprehensive responses and technical assistance regarding quality systems and/or
- Develop, implement, and maintain Quality activities for all purchased material, equipment,
parts, and processing ensuring quality traceability information is maintained as required by
law and our customers
Thermi (Thessaloniki), Greece
16/04/2001 – 21/09/2001
VETERINARIAN (COMPLEMENTARY SPECIALIZATION) – THE HELLENIC ARMY
In general, Military Veterinary Services provide:
- Care for service animals,
- Public health services (food inspection, water quality),
- Development assistance and research services
01/07/1998 – 31/08/1998
MENTORED UNDERGRADUATE SUMMER EXPERIENCE OF VETERINARIAN – Prefectur
e of Thessaloniki – Directorate for Veterinary Services
The objective of this activity is to identify, nurture, and support veterinary students who will
be guided through their work with faculty mentors to all aspects of veterinary and biomedical
- Scientific dialogue and communication
- Library and literature search and research
- Laboratory conduct and professionalism
- Research ethics and bioethics
- Self-education and motivation
- Critical review and assessment
Chalkidona (Region of Central Macedonia), Greece